Saturday 26 June 2010

Looking Forward

I must confess to a certain amount of recent frustration. In the last couple of weeks since I completed a super 3-day jaunt in the Peak District we have been blessed with the most glorious weather, but to date I have been unable to take any real advantage of it. Except for a couple of very short trundles around my local area, I have either been at work, stuck inside, or fulfilling other commitments.

What is adding to the frustration is that I usually take a week’s walking holiday in late spring to try to relax, clear my head and clock up a few miles. Last year, I did the southern half of the Offa’s Dyke Path: this year I have not had the chance to take a break, so, periodically, I find myself staring outside with a far-away look on my face, daydreaming about having a wonderful time on some LDP somewhere.

Disappointing as it is to realise that I am not, in fact, on my travels, but sitting at my desk contemplating a pile of work full of imminent deadlines, there is an upside to all this because these imaginings are the beginnings of future adventures. The seeds of dozens of ideas will be sown; some will fall on fallow ground, but some will germinate into possibilities and, given time and a little nurturing, one or two might even become fully-grown plans.

And good thing about that is that when it’s cold and raining outside, when it’s dark when you go to work and dark when you come home again, and when you are missing your walking and the feeling of the sun on your face, there is something to look forward to that you know you’re going to enjoy, borne out of that frustration. A negative becomes a positive; a modest dream becomes a reality. And that’s a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment